This took me whole day. Working with QFN drivers is plain PITA. It does look good though. I just hope it works.
I finally figured out how to wash most of the flux from the board. It is still not perfect, but looks really good.
I have another revision with 3 fuses. I figured that one fuse for both motors and extruder heaters may be too taxing. In my latest design I have one 15A fuse for the heated bed; one 10A fuse for the extruder heaters and one more 10A fuse for the rest of the electronics.
I had one RAMPS discount full graphics controller laying around from my RigidBot. I did use it with the original controller and decided to test it with the PrntrBoard.
In Rev1 and Rev2 of the board I did not have enough pins on the LCD connector to be able to use all buttons on the panel. In the Rev3 I used every last pin of the tiny 64-pin package and I just got enough (or so I thought).
I learned the SPI used by the LCD panel is not very standard and had to fight with Marlin to make the TMC drivers and the LCD co-exist on the same SPI bus.
Finally I was able to use the panel:
One of the pins I used for the button input did not quite cooperate, so I have only one button + the rotary controller for the UI. Lucky for me both Marlin and Smoothieware were functioning with that configuration.
I had to disable the TMC diver monitoring, because the LCD controller was getting confused by the SPI communication with the TMC drivers. I think I can create a small breakout board with a few AND gates to alleviate this interference.
Here is a video of the panel working in Smoothieware:
After a few unsuccessful attempts, I got Smoothie to move my stepper motors on the PrntrBoard controller.
At first the smoothie had a bug in the SPI dirver and was unable to talk to the TMC2130 chips. Fixed that, then the steppers still would not move.
I can see the drivers were sending current, because my power supply would start the fans up, but zero steps. I spend the day trying to diff the configuration between Marlin and Smoothie, but nothing was wrong. Finally caught a bug in the Stepper timers and lo and behold movement.
I’ll make a video of my Rigidbot running Smoothie on STM32 next week.