First my woes with the TMC2209 driver boards are ongoing. The company making the PCBs called that they could not complete my last two prototype designs. The issue was that I didn’t pay attention to the fabrication capabilities and used the wrong design rules.
Long story short I had to re-wire part of the board to meet their spec and submit another order. Alas that meant I have to wait another two weeks for the boards to appear 🙁
In the mean time I was trying to test what I can with the rev1 prototype I had. I tested the heaters and thermistors are working. Now it was turn to my old nemesis – the LCD panel.
The software for these LCD panels is remarkably convoluted and not at all supported on STM32 series of MCUs. I had to write two more drivers for the U8G library, but finally some good progress:
I got the FYSETC mini 12864 panel to work. To finish the week, I also verified the SD-card interface is working.
Here is a link to the github project with all the board design files. The Marlin firmware I’m using.
I just got Marlin to boot and move the motors. Had to make some tweaks to the serial port configuration, because I have unique setup (X, Y and Z share one serial port) and the two extruders share another. I also use proper hardware serial ports, not the SoftwareSerial library. At the moment the code requires special patches to the STM32Duino core and the Trinamic library so it can properly support serial half-duplex communication.
On separate topic, I got a prototype of an LCD i/o board for the Nucleo-F407. I tested it with the REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER and was working flawlessly.
Here it is connected to my soldering machine:
The very first prototype had a bug, hence the little red wire. This adds support for the traditional EXT1 and EXT2 connectors that are popular with other boards. Graphics panels would require a little work, to convince marlin to use the second SPI hardware block.
This is one of these projects that I never finished. I managed to hook up the Jaguar navigation unit to the Realtek LCD controller board and in turn to an old 14″ laptop screen.
I had to tweak the Realtek firmware a bit to accept the video signal from the nav unit, but you can see it was working fine.
The imaginary goal was to replace the LCD screen in the factory unit with a better resolution screen. However, in the process, I was not able to find anything I liked with a side that would fit the Nav unit and would not require major surgery.
In the end, it was a cool thing to play with, but never saw the light of day. Here are a few more pictures of the Nav UI.
As you can see the 14″ screen does not have the correct aspect ratio – the circle is a bit squished.
Here are a few pictures of a screen I was considering as a replacement of the factory unit, but in the end, it was just a bit too big.
Just for fun, I made this contraption. Connected an old Sony laptop screen to an HDMI control board (Realtek 2660) and “voila” a 9″ LCD monitor for my Raspberry Pi.
A few more pics here.
The best part was the copious amounts of scotch tape to hold things together.
I created a programmer for the Realtek board, so I can swap the firmware with one that was suitable for this screen size.