Soldering machine tests

I’ve been running the soldering machine for about 2 weeks. I added a very ugly, but effective fume extractor to the machine head.

It has 40mm fan and a square piece of carbon-activated filter to absorb the fumes. The design is not my best work and is held together with hot glue. However it does work.

Some early failures of the soldering were quite comical:

But some tweaks of the G-Code and it is mostly working now

At this stage it is completely manual programming. No computer vision at all. I’m recording all soldering sessions so they can be used for training ML models later.

My test board is fairly straight forward, so programming the G-Code is not hard. I use a simple C++ program to send the commands to the 3D printer controller. This allows me to add the necessary delay and in the future integrate some processing of the camera image.

I also managed to find an M12 camera lens with much less distortion, to the point that the image no longer needs corrections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.