KiCAD 3D export + onshape

In my experiments with the rev1 version of the TMC2130 board I found that the motor drivers get quite warm with increased current. If I point a fan just right it would cool the driver enough, but if the air flow was not sufficient the drivers overheat quite easily.

I wanted to improve the cooling on the PrntrBoard motor drivers. The board layout is challenging with the NUCLEO board on the bottom and a bunch of connectors on the top. Achieving good airflow for the Trinamic drivers would not be simple unless I add many many fans.

I tried to design a custom airflow conduit that would direct the air over the drivers without taking too much extra space. To start I did an export of a 3D model of the board and all components from KiCAD – it proved to be an excellent feature. I exported a STEP file, which I then tried to import in onshape. It kind of worked, but the generated assembly was full of small parts which would move all over the place and there was no easy way to tell onshape that this was one solid block of parts (at least I didn’t find an easy way to do that). Not to worry I fired off a copy of Autodesk Fusion 360. Imported the file there and added models for the heatsinks I was using on the board. I also added the IDC connectors to the NUCLEO board (they were not in the KiCAD export). I tried to figure out the assembly feature in Fusion 360, but gave up and exported STEP file again and imported it back to onshape. This time it appeared as one giant part, so I proceeded with my favorite feature – “design part in place”. This lets you design a new part in the context of an assembly and you can use geometry from the assembly as reference.

This is what the current design looks like:

 

And here is how it actually fits on the board, when I created the parts on a 3D printer:

PrntrBoard TMC2130 redesign is complete

When I was working on the new layout for the TMC2660 branch of the board, I used a dedicated ground plane and turned out this was awesome. It simplified lots of the routing as well as added good heat dissipation capabilities to the board.

I wanted to try and redo the layout of the TMC2130 branch with this technique. In addition I wanted to swap the location of the E1 motor driver and the 5V input connector, before the E1 driver was crammed in the corner and it was challenging to get good routing of the power pins. By swapping the position with the 5V power connector there is a bit more space.

The third thing I wanted to try was to reverse the position of the STM32 NUCLEO board – in the previous design it was sticking out in an unsightly manner.

So here it is new layout all complete. DRC checks pass.

In a slightly different perspective:

You can see the NUCLEO does not block the mounting hole on the lower left corner anymore (MK4).

Here is a look from the bottom:

The motor driver have large area on the bottom for heat dissipation. You can also see the large rectangle area on the bed heater control MOSFET on the top.

I also added a few extra power connectors – two for Vin and two to the 5V rail, to hook cooling fans for the case. You can see two of them on the low left corner in the last picture.

Note: while the last picture shows the STM32F411 CPU, the board actually required the STM32F446 version. The only 3D model I found for the NUCLEO STM32 dev kit was with the STM32F441 part, so that is why it is on the images.

Making PrntrBoard TMC2130 rev1

New revision (rev1) of my 3D printer controller board arrived a few weeks ago from the board manufacturer (http://jlcpcb.com). I did assemble a prototype with one driver for “smoke test”. Well it did “smoke” only a bit, because I accidentally put one chip in reverse. Lucky for me it was not the Trinamic driver – that one survived.

Anyhow today I made another board – this time with all components populated. Here is how it went up.

Mounted the PCB in an improvised jig to keep it secure on my table. The “jig” is made from 4 small PCBs from a different project. I secured them with blue tape, so they hold the main PCB in place.

Next was aligning the kapton stencil on top of the PCB. The stencil is made by http://oshstencil.com It is not aligned yet.

Here it is aligned on top of the board and secured with another piece of blue tape:

Getting ready to apply solder paste. I use “credit card” squeegee from OshStencil.

Paste away. I usually put too much, but it is easier to have some left over, than scraping the last bit of paste over and over again.

Here it is – paste applied. You can see that my footprint for TR3 needs to be fixed – the paste opening is way too big. Oh well – rev2 I guess.

By the way because my stencil application jig is not particularly sturdy you can see the solder paste is smudged over the fine point IC pads. It is not the end of the world. It makes a few solder bridges, but easily fixable. It is better, when I use solder paste printer, but I don’t have a framed stencil for this board they are $$$.

And it goes in the CHMT48VB pick-and-placer.

And the machine goes – here is a short video clip of the beginning of the job. Note that the board is split in two jobs. The second job is with different set of nozzles. I don’t have the nozzle change in the video – sorry.

The board after all components are placed by the machine. I use the machine only for tedious parts. I place other components by hand.

After manually placing the rest of the SMD parts, the board is ready for solder re-flow. I use hot air gun. I have a T962 oven, but it always seems like too much effort to use it. Here is the result of my hot air application. You can see quite a few bridges on the drivers. Click on the picture for full resolution image.

All cleaned up

Now to solder all true-hole connectors. This is the most tedious and time consuming part. Here it is all done. Front:

And back

I did a quick check and there are no shorts on any power supply lanes. On to testing the firmware.